Thursday 14 November 2013

What to do on a Vernissage?!




 For some new visitors, all that counts is to find an inconspicuous way to get to the buffet table and stuff themselves with hors d'oeuvre, while trying to understand the art that is displayed around them and feeling like they're either underdressed or overdressed. 

Art and candles, lighting up the entrance of the gallery


I have had that chance to go to a vernissage several times, but I am still far from being a pro.

This time, I had the pleasure to be invited to the vernissage of artist Angela Sommerhoff. She's been exhibiting her pieces of art for over 10 years now, and some of her tools are Gouache, Acrylic, Japanese Paper, and metals such as silver, gold and similar. The gallery was lined with those impressive paintings, the rooms full of colours, light and conversation.
I decided to approach the artist to ask her for a tip on what to do on a vernissage.



Cat:  What would you recommend
to someone coming to a vernissage?



Angela Sommerhoff:  You should look around and find the one picture that speaks to you.Once you find it, stop and find out WHY that certain picture speaks to you.
You will thus enter into a dialogue with the picture.
I've come to the conclusion, that the reason why people find a certain picture speaking to them is because that picture is connected to the story of the viewer's life. 


Lights, colours and conversations in the new art gallery


I thus set out through the gallery to find that one picture. Interestingly, I didn't have to think long. Even though I appreciated the colours and techniques of the other pictures, finding them all equally breathtaking, I still went without hesitation to the picture "Schreiben - Ein Wagnis" (Writing - a venture) below.

"Schreiben - Ein Wagnis" by Angela Sommerhoff

 

I've written several novels and short stories, and I this week I've been writing youtube scripts and this blog, thus the art of writing is still one of my mayor passions. Standing in front of the picture, I realised that there were several pen nibs integrated into the artwork.




 

It reflected to me the process of writing and rewriting, new ink, new and old pens, writing and re-writing. Pen nibs I also find are a fascinating symbol for writers and artists. I turned to look even closer and saw that certain sections of the picture were strong enough to tell their own story. Taking pictures of those scenes, made me realise that there is a whole novel in one picture, told in several parts eg. sections of the artwork.



 I am still far from being a vernissage professional, but that certain insight revibrated in me, and it inspired me to keep in touch more with my writing side. I've recently stopped writing short stories, and this has reminded me to pick back up my pens and venture into the art of writing again.


Great thanks to  Angela Sommerhoff for her invitation and also for answering my question so kindly and letting me take pictures of her artwork. My camera doesn't do the artwork justice, but the act of taking pictures of the art was in-itself another adventure for me.

If you're curious now, Angela Sommerhoff's webpage is on this link here. 


Today has been quite a change to yesterday, but that's life, right?

Love and Colours,
x
Cat
 

No comments:

Post a Comment